01J misc Transmission parts, repair guidelines, problems, manuals
Transmission general data
|Number of gears||Transmission Type||Drive||Torque (Nm)||ATF (full capacity) L||ATF (change) L||ATF type|
|∞||CVT||FWD||310||7,5||4,5||G 052 180 A2|
What are you looking for?
Overhaul Kit | Friction Kit | Friction | Steel Plate | Steel Kit | Band | Solenoid Kit | Solenoid EPC | Solenoid TCC | Pump | Shaft | Drum | Valve body | Torque converter | Hub | Piston | Piston Kit | Planetary Gear | Filter | Gasket | Bushing | Seal | Bearing | Pressure Plate | Stator | Differential | Retainer | Inhibitor Switch | Instruction manual | TOOLS & ACCESORIES | Sensor
Technical issues and repair guidelines
The main reason for visiting a repair shop with this durable CVT during the first years of exploitation is the necessity to replace the filter and ATF (G 052 180 A2). About 4.5 liters are required for partial ATF change. Complete ATF change via double partial change - requires 7.5 liters. This CVT is sensitive to the CVT quiality (level and cleanness). It is recommended to perform the ATF change after travelling 40-60 thousand kilometers, but the older CVT unit, the sooner the replacement should be performed. Opaque ATF is the sign that it is a high time to visit the nearest repair shop.
The structure of CVT 01J is especially sensitive to ATF contamination. The usage of contaminated ATF and clogged filter leads to the premature damage of the transmission components.The common order for the overhaul of this CVT includes the repair kit of gaskets and seals. Another typical spare part for repair of this transmission is an ejection pump.
The ejection pump is made of plastic and operates on the principle of an "atomizer". As in all atomizers, this system is sensitive to cleanness and temperature of the ATF. It gets clogged very quickly and channels wear out. Usage of contaminated and hot ATF leads to low efficiency and such oil should be changed together with other spare parts. Problems with this pump result in some issues with friction elements.
Vulnerabilities of 01J:
- The structural design of this CVT exploits a pulling mechanism. Such mechanism exhausts its performance potential quite early, because of stretching loads and frictions, therefore it is changed during each CVT overhaul (after covering 100 thousand kilometers). Usually the pulling plates are replaced together with the pulling mechanism.
- The CVT design excludes the possibility of cars towing, otherwise it may lead to lethal consequences for CVT cones and as a result serious problems for transmission itself. Cones are the primary resource of the CVT unit
- The control unit of CVT Multitronik VL-300 (with the resource no higher than 100 thousand kilometers) is a common soft spot of electrics for CVTs and 6-speed gearboxes of the first generations.
- Another serious problem (less frequently met) is the differential.
- It is strongly recommended to pay much attention to the differential condition during the overhaul. If there is a problem with the differential then the gearbox can be considered “dead”. The replacement of 01J differential is a practically impossible task.
Generally, this sophisticated and accurately adjusted gearbox operates quite well in new cars, but after 150-200 thousand kilometers the usage of this transmission reminds a “Russian roulette”.
Instruction manuals and useful links Suggest your link
|www.volkspage.net||Design and Function Self-Study Programme 228|
|www.at-manuals.com||Variable Automatic Transmission multitronic 01J|
|drive.google.com||Repair manual 01J|
|Not specified||google.com||Service instruction 01J|
|Sonnax||Valve Body Layout 01J|
|www||Sonnax||VW/Audi 01J/01T Valve Body Identification Guide|